Monday, August 31, 2009

The Joy of Giving

I first wrote on the jamban wound to reflect how kiasi (afraid to die) I am since young. I never actually realized it until my mom reminded me. That was during Chinese New Year this year. I was done with parting 60% of my liver to save a child's life to my mom's wondering what has made me out of mind to do it since she knew I was all the while very kiasi.

Until today, I could not explain why I did it. In fact, when my editor (I am writing a book on my journey in the recent liver donation) asked why I did it - I could not answer. The thought at that time was not the WHY I did it... it was supposed to be the other way round - WHY NOT? It is a life that is concerned and WHY NOT? Yes, I may die but the risks was only 1.0% - 1.5%, so WHY NOT? Organ donation is a cause close to my heart and being still alive, I have a chance to perform yet another service to mankind, so WHY NOT?



I recently held on to the book "The Meaning of The Holy Quran" by Abdullah Yusuf Ali, since my friend launched the Let's Read the Quran II campaign. And many also asked of my recent behaviour with escalated interests to Islam of which I also answered the same, WHY NOT?

I am very much impressed with the Quran emphasis on practising regular charity. In Surah Al-Baqarah alone, in several parts of the Surah, it mentions and repeatedly mentions:

And be steadfast in prayer; practise regular charity; and bow down your heads with those who bow down (in worship). (2 - 043)

.... Worship none but Allah; treat with kindness your parents and kindred, and orphans and those in need; speak fair to the people; be steadfast in prayer; and practise regular charity..... (2 - 083)

And be steadfast in prayer and regular in charity: And whatever good ye send forth for your souls before you, ye shall find it with Allah: for Allah sees Well all that ye do. (2 - 110)

It is not righteousness that ye turn your faces Towards east or West; but it is righteousness- to believe in Allah and the Last Day, and the Angels, and the Book, and the Messengers; to spend of your substance, out of love for Him, for your kin, for orphans, for the needy, for the wayfarer, for those who ask, and for the ransom of slaves; to be steadfast in prayer, and practice regular charity; to fulfil the contracts which ye have made; and to be firm and patient, in pain (or suffering) and adversity, and throughout all periods of panic. Such are the people of truth, the Allah-fearing. (2 - 177)

They ask thee what they should spend (In charity). Say: Whatever ye spend that is good, is for parents and kindred and orphans and those in want and for wayfarers. And whatever ye do that is good, -Allah knoweth it well. (2 - 215)

And whatever ye spend in charity or devotion, be sure Allah knows it all. But the wrong-doers have no helpers. (2 - 270)

If ye disclose (acts of) charity, even so it is well, but if ye conceal them, and make them reach those (really) in need, that is best for you: It will remove from you some of your (stains of) evil. And Allah is well acquainted with what ye do. (2 - 271)

Those who (in charity) spend of their goods by night and by day, in secret and in public, have their reward with their Lord: on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve. (2 - 274)

Allah will deprive usury of all blessing, but will give increase for deeds of charity: For He loveth not creatures ungrateful and wicked. (2 - 276)

Those who believe, and do deeds of righteousness, and establish regular prayers and regular charity, will have their reward with their Lord: on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve. (2 - 277)

If the debtor is in a difficulty, grant him time Till it is easy for him to repay. But if ye remit it by way of charity, that is best for you if ye only knew. (2 - 280)
I wrote about the joy of giving and how indescribable it is. When someone asked me how does it feel like after saving a life, I merely answer, "Why not trying it yourself?"

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    great blog you have here. admire your passion for life, despite the setbacks earlier in life.

    keep up the good job. we need more people like you around, to make the world a better place.

    cheers,
    Cindy

    p/s: we met at GG Women's Conference

    ReplyDelete