Thursday, December 29, 2011

I was offered..... (And it takes courage)

I appreciate thus far to take bold courageous moves in my life. There were many times I couldn't believe I took the courage to do things I was offered.

In school, I was offered.... To be a prefect. I've NEVER thought I could assume a role which could be considered a leader in school. I was naughty, I punched my kindergarten teacher, slapped my primary school teacher and argued with my headmistress. No one would ever think I can lead but that's where my turning point was...

I was offered.... To assume roles in youth organisations and I did well. In fact I founded Pandan Jaya Neighbourhood Watch, numerous programs and recently the Voice of Women.

I was offered.... An opportunity to save a live, a stranger whom I didn't know. Now as I looked back, I really didn't know how I said yes but I'm glad I did. It was the best joy of giving I had in life.

I was offered.... An opportunity to publish my book. Anas helped me. And I'm so glad that the book had now inspired many and helped many people make decision to pledge their organs.

I was offered... To work with Dato Sri Ong Tee Keat. Learnt a lot to WALK THE TALK. I've been talking about organ donation for 16 years and it was time for me to DO IT and I did it while I'm alive.

I've learnt that it is less valuable to talk (or in this technology world, tweet/FB) but it is important to PARTICIPATE in the decision making process and make a difference. I learnt that those who only tweet/update FB but dare not, will not or better not participate to DO SOMETHING has no relevance.

Think! You only talk but dare not take up the challenge to work on things which could benefit people. At the very least, give suggestions to make things better - not just talk and condemn at all times. I've openly stated this opinion even in the mass media.

And then.... I was offered
To contest in the election. My first response to it - THREE BIG NO... No No No! It wasn't until long 'lectures' from friends and rethinking my earlier paragraph of this blog, thinking deeply I actually said no to THREE things.

I said No because I still enjoy people saying good things about me - who doesn't? I said NO because I don't think I want to work as hard as politicians who really served the people. And I said NO because I didn't want to associate with a party, a President or a coalition many people said was dirty, tainted and losing touch.

Yet the biggest NO was because I was just chickening out. I asked myself again and again, how long can I live in a wonderland? And as dirty a party is, why not I be in it to clean it? Why must I get into it and get dirty myself? As much as I've always been talking about how dirty politics is, what have I done to reverse it and what have I done to make a difference?

Given another chance I'll say Yes Yes Yes. It doesn't matter if people say I'm dirty, I'm losing grounds/sanity, accusing me of being a betrayer, accusing me of being in politics for self gains, accusing me of choosing the wrong party wrong President. I will say yes for THREE big reasons.

I want to serve ad that's what I've always been doing. I'd say yes again because I want people to know that talking is cheap, doing something takes courage. And I truly believe I can make a difference because I've done it.

I already realised even giving my liver invited negative responses, what more being in politics and especially with one with a President some people think is tainted? So be it, I know what I want and most importantly what I want to achieve. If you'd like to support me, please give me constant reminders NOT to be 'like them'. I think you guys understand what I mean.

I recall a ZEN comic.
Student: Teacher, you are so noble you should go to heaven
Teacher: I will go to hell
Student: Why so?
Teacher: It is so dirty in hell, if I don't go to hell, who will help them?
Student: Bow
-------
Things just happen, the rest is up to ME to make it GREAT!

Hoong Ling
+6016-3310325
www.hoongling.com
www.organdonation.com.my

Sent from my BlackBerry® Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment