Monday, January 24, 2011

Tenang By Election

It has been a long time since I last participated in any by election campaigns. I've experienced 4-5 by-elections and assisted in 3 general elections. By-elections are more fun than the general elections.

This time when there was a by election in Tenang - a small town in Labis, Johor, I felt a strong urge to provide assistance. Perhaps there's a feeling that I'm back! (Will explain later)

But this round will be even more interesting, since having a close Twitter friend @kwangchen who is a member of Angkatan Muda Keadilan, we will be joining campaigns for both BN and PR.


The journey
We started journey on Friday night - @jonathanfun, @eklern, @kwangchen and I (@hoongling). Reached Batu Pahat at midnight. When I thought we were going straight to the hotel to rest, our first destination was a karaoke for singing and drinking. A group of friends were already there including our friend, the MCA Gelang Patah division chairman, Jason Teoh.

At about 3.30am, after a good supper, we went to hotel for our sleep. We were told to gather at the hotel lobby by 6am to leave for Tenang. Less than 2 hours to sleep!


The by-election
I was awaken by 5.35am and prepared myself. By 6am I was done but calling those guys to no response, I knew they couldn't wake up. @alanwong8 who was also with Jason, called to say they were already on the way and asked that I rest and wait for those guys.

I slept and by 8.30am I saw tweets that showed they were awake. We had breakfast a headed to Tenang. Of course we missed the fun of nomination.

Went for lunch, saw a group of PKR youth members clad in orange. I thought BN was blue, PAS was green so I wore orange to be neutral. Little did I know it was the AMK's colour. Then to the PAS station, had rest and met some people.

The YB in MCA I texted and sent message to, did not reply me. In other words he ignored me. So, after some moving around and asking people, we found MCA Labis building. Went in to rest and bumped into YB Dato Wee Ka Siong and YB Chua Tee Yong.

We then started to follow YB Dato Wee to the row of shops next to the building. Door to door visit and we helped distribute flyers.

Then at 3.45pm we went back to the MCA hq to wait for YB Gan Ping Sieu's team for house to house visit. We did not know the entourage left without us. After waiting for half an hour, we gave up and went for KFC.

We saw Tian Chua and after food we wanted to join PKR for door to door visit when YB Gan finally replied. After some coordination we found the team and helped him in the walkabout.

Later we were supposed to attend and help in PR ceramah but couldn't find the locations. Gave up, we went to Kluang where Jonathan hosted us.


The night and the sharing
As YB Gan is also from Kluang, we had a drink with him till night. Jon asked a few questions and YB Gan gave us his views and insights of certain issues. Reflecting on his words, I personally think that our country needs more politicians like him who can give views with solid facts, referring to past history and understanding with empathy.


Hormati Suara Rakyat Selangor
After a night at Jon's house, we went back to KL headed straight to Petaling Jaya stadium for a rally organised by PR on returning the rights to Sultan.


Exhausted
Fell asleep at 10.30pm after tiring days in the car. I salute those YBs who always travel in the car, up and down the country for duties, attending functions after functions in a graveyard schedule.

May all our elected representatives have the strength and energy to work for the rakyat.

THANKS to Jason Teoh, MCA, PAS, PKR, Alvin Teoh, Jonathan and Eklern for the fun!


I'm back
My dream to be a politician began since school days but after some time I felt politics is not for me. By 17, I was already a social activist and leader in a few school organisations. I began helping in elections at that age by giving out flyers in the whole housing area and a Wanita PGRM division chairman asked me to join member and I did.

Then again in the next general election, I was going for walkabouts with the MP candidate. My candidate asked if I'm ok to follow him and risked being scolded, scorned off by the public at times and tiring myself under the sun for hours. I was alright.

Based in KL, I then chanced upon an opportunity to assist Dato Sri Ong Tee Keat in his constituency as his secretary. That was the time I realised politics is not for me. I focused on community service and helping people around the constituency.

Active in youth associations, I was also hand picked to be the Youth Ambassador on board the Southeast Asian Youth Program (SSEAYP). But 4 or 5 years ago I detached myself from all organisations especially those with the Ministry of Youth and Sports, politics killed my spirit.

Through these exposure, I then had opportunities to speak at forums and seminars, invited as panel speaker for Bicara Siswa twice and eventually a TV Presenter on Selamat Pagi Malaysia for two years.

All I wanted to do is to help communities and learn from people I meet, I lack the political will to fight for positions but yet I ended up having 12 positions, serving actively in 12 different organisations naturally. However, after my surgery donated liver, I needed rest so I relinquished posts in organisations requiring my active participation, time and signatories for cheques.

It was peace for 2 years - no persatuan, no kelab, no politics, no signing cheques (except one organisation), no activities, no hectic lifestyle, no graveyard schedule... I had heavenly sleep, enough rest, health got much better, even look younger (or at least stagnant - when I was 23, people said I looked 32, but as I now approach 31, people still say I look 32 too), had time for myself, understand myself even better... The list goes on. Most importantly I have time to share my experience and in that process encouraged more people to pledge their organs.

One major thing disrupted this. I was asked to join the Youth Development Transformation Lab - a 6-week full time lab to brainstorm for programs which could transform youths.

This could well be a full time job as I was also honored to be invited as member of the Implementation Committee. Luckily I still like my work as emcee, thus having much time for all these which are close to my heart - organ donation, youths.

From this point I felt that I'm back to the arena.. Though my first priority this year is to make my first million RM through green technologies, emceeing, speaking, training, and investments, I'll still spend time wherever possible for issues close to my heart.

Politics is still not my cup of tea...
Sent from my BlackBerry® Smartphone

1 comment:

  1. You are smart and I'm proud of you.

    Yoke-Yin

    ReplyDelete