Sunday, September 12, 2010

The times.... the times....

In search for a sweet looking young lady's photo for my book cover, my publisher asked that I send in photos when I was 13 years old, or younger. 

Why 13, because I donated part of my liver to a 13-year-old girl and when I first pledged my organs - that was also when I was 13 years old. A coincidence. 

But then as a tomboy at that time, most of those 13-year-old photos are all in uniforms (St. John Ambulance uniform to be exact) and marching or doing something actively boyish. The vivacity during childhood. The times.... the times... 


Couldn't find sweeter photos to go with... and these are all photos when I was older

The younger ones with full portrait or even NAKED! and of course full head shots too but seldom see full head shots when I am elder

Finally a few head shot photos... none sweeter than the current selected photo for the cover, the one on the top right


We contemplated a few in St. John uniforms, too but then I do not want to be finger-pointed to say I "use" or "misuse" St. John for fame... as they have accused me of doing so... forget the uniforms, I told the publisher and of course, I have since quit from all St. John's too. The spirit is in the hearts, not in the uniform or ranking or the participation in it... Service for Mankind




Still looking for full head shots but not good enough..... 

And self portrait perhaps.... what was I doing with that tree? Bollywood.... ? And the serene meditating photo... not good enough as it was zoomed out somewhat... 

It was when my friend, Axiao wrote about the 18 vs 30 (age) that I reflected back too....

18 or younger..... you will only see me in dress in school - the school pinafore yeah! Always in T-shirts - these were passed down from my elder cousin to the younger cousin and then to me... we can pass on for 3 generations but clothes these days and machine washed could merely be worn within one generation or so... 

The love for marching and foot drills after watching the many Merdeka parades, awed by the standing guards for the lifetime of the parade.... We really did stood for St. John Ambulance annual parade as well, the longest was during the trouping of the Perak St John colours! A whooping 2.5hours!.. and loving and imitating most closely the commands of armies at that time, one cannot forget my voice that trembled the whole school! (ok my school is small)
Squaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddddddd!! S'Dia! Dari kiriiiiiiiiiiiiii Cepat j'lan!! and the troupe echoed kiri, kiri, kiri kanan kiri.... kri, kri, kri knan kri... and always remember that most difficult line of command.... Dari kiri, di sebelah kiri, jadikan skuaddd... dan berhenti (until now, I have no idea how it is to be the best in command) and soon when I left school, that difficult line was scrapped from the format of foot drills...

Remembering also a time when I shouted the commands as practise for competitions.... two traffic policemen passed by the school. They were looking at us, my friend trembled to say "You are doomed, Hoong Ling... the police is looking at you.." and they passed the school gates and my friend's relief was but a few seconds and the police took a U-turn, turned into the gates, coming towards us and stopped the engine of their masculine-look, white motrobikes, just about 5 feet away... stared at me for a good few seconds while my friend at my side kept trembling non-stop fearing of .... (dunno what!)... "Apa buat?" the police asked and I said "Latihan - training for marching"... and the police said, "You punya suara bagus ah...", started the engines again and rode off...

The times.... the times.....

And oh yes, out of popularity though NEVER ever played a sport in school (having strict and disciplinarian aunt forbade, and St. John was my only active activity in school), was elected the House Leader - green house, if I am not mistaken. And strange enough, the closest of my friends, then SIX of us... we were all scattered in the 4 different houses; and 4 of us among the six were house leaders. We will have roti canai on Saturday mornings and asked each other, "Hey, how is your house doing?" 

Perhaps badminton was the only sport I am OK at... and I will never forget how Wai Kheng, a close friend smashes the shuttle and the racket fell right on my head when I played double with her... the phobia stayed until now!

The times.... the times.....

First with the bicycle... riding to school only on Saturdays - my aunt was so afraid that I will be in trouble and of course the bruises and wounds on arms and legs due to accidents... Also remembered a time when I was a mere passenger on a friend's bicyle, he was riding so fast and I was so afraid that I jumped off the bike... and of course elbows, knees and heels all wounded - a week of torment. 

And then motorcycle - the ecstasy of getting the driving license... and accidents, too! Who can escape...? But then, it is worth admiration that I have never cause accidents to anyone since first driving a car. 

The times... the times....

And seeing my friends all representing the school, the district, the state in many sports - hockey, ping pong, tennis, badminton and athletics... I wondered what will I be representing the school for... St. John competitions in the state but wasn't really much welcomed - the all-girl school was not fond of the tomboy marching away with no trophies excepting the foot drills 3rd prize in the state (our team has less interest in home nursing and failed miserably at the competitions). And it was my friends' inspirations which made me vowed to one day represent the country and years after that dream, it came true in 2003 when I was selected on board the Ship for Southeast Asia Youths... and unforgettable journey but the most unforgettable one is how your friends planted that inspirations and seed in your head when you are so young but 16.

The times.....

I first did something to be proud of... achieving all As in Form Three and being one of the most famous schools in the small town, we have reporters coming to snap our picture and put our little news in the papers. The first thing that I ever did my family proud - haven't seen such occasion of pride in my family then, and further account of my aunt saying that "Our family will never be successful" because our side of the family has no lawyers or engineers like her husband's side of the family... it made me determined to be in papers and dreaming to be on TV one day.... 

And those fine days came - 2 years as a TV presenter on Selamat Pagi Malaysia and numerous times on mass media... and yes, my aunt did the honour of revealing when she was half drunk, to my dad she said, "I, too has a share in the pride and the success of your daughter." And yes, a big role in the growing years and my aunt was my guardian since my parents divorced when I was 4 or 5 years old. 

And of course... that inspirations and seed planted in my head again...

The times....  

Now approaching 30 - still not yet 30 in full as I am but the youngest among the closest of friends.... I felt that it was a long way and yes the inspirations and seeds planted in my head - all achieved and I must say that the applause should go to all my friends and family members for allowing me to share the times and wonderful moments with them. 

As my journey ventures along, I find many big people - big as in rank, reputation and conduct - are many above me, humbling me to walk in my life a little lower.

Jadilah seperti padi.... semakin berisi, semakin tunduk... And I hope I will.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment